With the internet becoming increasingly integrated into our daily lives, it's more important than ever to practice internet safety. The internet can be a fantastic resource, but it's also full of potential dangers. In this blog, we'll discuss some essential tips for staying safe online.
- Keep your personal information private. Don't post sensitive information like your address, phone number, or financial information online or send them through email. Only provide this information to trusted sources, and always double-check that the website you're on is secure. To learn more about what is considered personally identifiable information (PII) CLICK HERE.
- Use secure passwords and keep them safe. A password manager can be used to generate strong passwords for each of your accounts. It's best to avoid using the same password for multiple accounts. Also, never share your passwords with anyone.
- Be cautious of suspicious links and attachments in emails, chats, and text messages. Don't click on links or download attachments from unknown sources because these links could contain viruses or malware that can harm your computer and steal your personal information.
- Beware of phishing scams. Be wary of emails or messages that appear to be from legitimate companies but ask for sensitive information. Banks and other companies will not ask you to share your login credentials or personal information over email.
- Monitor your social media accounts. Keep an eye on your social media accounts to ensure that only trusted people can access your information. Be cautious when accepting friend requests from people you don't know or people you are already friends with. Always avoid sharing sensitive information online.
- Educate yourself and others. Learn about internet safety and share your knowledge with others. Teach your children about online safety, and encourage your friends and family to be cautious online. The San Diego Police Foundation has an extensive program, Safety Net, with tools and resources to educate on internet safety, social networking threats, cyber bullies, identity theft, hackers and scammers, and more.
The internet can be a fantastic tool, but it's important to practice internet safety to protect yourself from potential dangers. By following these tips and staying vigilant, you can enjoy all the benefits of the internet without putting yourself at risk. Stay safe out there!